Great Lakes Psychology Group provides individual, family and couple therapy for all kinds of couples & families, including those with members who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/gender variant, intersex (LGBTQI), or straight.
Our staff understands the complex challenges that are often part of the lives of LGBTQI clients and their families. We are dedicated to providing treatment using LGBTQI-affirmative models with couples, families, individuals and groups.
Common areas of concern include:
- Coming out
- Issues relevant to transgender individuals and their families (transitioning process, internal identity issues, transparenting, etc.)
- Aging issues for LGBTQI individuals and their caregivers (family, medical personnel, etc.)
- Loss, Death, & Trauma
- Exploration of sexual orientation and gender identities/expressions
- Parenting gender nonconforming or intersex children
- Facilitating a healthy identity
- Creating & maintaining personal and professional relationships after coming out
- Supporting LGBTQI family members
- Lack of social connections
- Creating a chosen family
- Intimacy & sexuality (Polyamory, differing arousal levels, lack of sexual desire, etc.)
- LGBTQI Family Forming and Fertility Issues (adoption, insemination, etc.)
- HIV and Chronic Illness
- Dealing with social stigma, oppression, marginalization and anti-LGBTQI bias crimes
- Internalized homophobia, bi-phobia, transphobia, etc.
- Depression and anxiety
- LGBTQI intimate partner and family abuse
Our goal for our LGBTQI clients is that they experience informed and sensitive therapeutic services to facilitate health, happiness and wellbeing for themselves and their families.